Change the world...

My family has been watching The History Channel's miniseries "The Bible" for the past few weeks and the kids have been waiting (im)patiently for Jesus to come on the scene.

As an aside, they have heard Bible stories all their lives, so they were rapt with attention to detail...and sorry, Mark Burnett, but according to 9 year old Griffin, you got quite a few details wrong.

So tonight, much to our delight, Jesus was born.

Annie and I cried. Really, we did.

It was so real, so dirty, so beautiful....a newborn baby born in a stinky, dirty stable.

I thought immediately of the Mark Lowry song "Mary Did You Know?".....as I looked at the young actress portraying the Mother of our Lord, gazing into the face of God -disguised as a newborn baby- I wonder what she thought. I wonder how it felt to know that your child was born of God. Was God. Is God.

But then...

Fast forward to when Jesus comes on the scene, coming to be baptized by his cousin (who, by the way, was rocking some righteous dreadlocks). I loved the baptism scene. I loved the scene with Peter even more.

"What are we going to do?"

"Change the world."

I smiled....no, I grinned from ear to ear, with tears streaming down my face.

After all, that's precisely what Jesus tells each of us. He calls us to follow him, just like he called the original disciples. Those boys dropped their nets and abandoned ship....literally. Sadly, we don't do the same. We list 67 excuses why right NOW isn't convenient for us. We tell Jesus our list of to-do's just can't be postponed. Our kids have a dentist appointment. Our jobs have deadlines. Dinner needs to be cooked. That extra money was going for a new car.

"Change the world."

I wonder....if we knew that our obedience would bring the Kingdom a little closer....would we do it?

If it meant that a hungry child would eat tonight....would we do it?

If it meant that a dying man would meet His Savior....would we do it?

"What are we going to do?"

"Change the world."

Will you?

No comments: