Vessels of Honor

I desperately need to declutter.
We are literally crammed into this small seminary apartment, and are overflowing with "stuff". It is a constant battle to decide what is useful and what is not. What to keep and what to toss aside.
Today in my quiet time (which is a total misnomer, as while I read my Bible I had a 2 year old jabbering in my left ear while in my right I could not tune out an argument between the brothers), I read 2 Timothy 2:21 about being a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work."
Sigh.
I so don't feel useful to anyone lately, especially the Master. But that last part...prepared for every good work....hmmm; isn't that what I've been doing the past 30 or so years? Preparing for the good work that God has called me to? Being here at seminary is a moot point. God has used my life circumstances, my work, my family to prepare me for the work that He has called me to do. I can learn a few pointers and tips from other seminary wives, but the real work comes when I'm all alone. When no one else is looking.
It is a constant, day to day struggle for me to "take every thought captive" (2 Cor. 10:5), but it is something that I'm aware of and am working on. I want to be useful to my Master, not something worthy of being tossed aside, like something that is just taking up space in a very cluttered world.
Fortunately for me, He isn't finished with me quite yet.
Whew.

No comments: