inadequate...

Do you ever feel inadequate as a wife, a mother, a teacher or a housekeeper? I know I do. Sometimes I'm teaching math and feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants. Who am I kidding?! The six year old probably realizes I'm a phony.
Moses felt inadequate. In Exodus 4 he reminds God that he isn't a great speaker. God reminds him that He is, after all, the One that created man's mouth.
Gideon felt inadequate. In Judges 6, an angel comes to him and addresses him as "mighty warrior". Gideon reminds the angel that he is the youngest, from a lowly family. The Lord reminds him that He would be with Gideon, and that Midian would be defeated.
In Isaiah 6, the prophet cries out in a vision that he is inadequate -- that he was a man of "unclean lips". After a burning coal was placed to his lips, God asks, ""Whom shall I send?" and Isaiah promptly cries out, "Here am I. Send me!"
I love the story from Mark 5 about a woman who not only felt inadequate, but society told her she was inadequate. The woman had been bleeding for 12 years. Mosaic law said she was 'unclean', as was anything she sat on...and by extension, anyone who touched her or anything she'd sat on was also considered unclean. Needless to say, this poor girl was an outcast. Yet she has the courage and the faith to step into a crowd and reach out to touch the hem of Jesus' robe. She thinks to herself if she could just touch His garment, she would be healed. Jesus, knowing her thoughts, turns around, calls her out, and, in a gentle, loving, and intimate way, says "Daughter, your faith has healed you."
When I read the stories of these men and women of old, I am so encouraged. I tend to feel the need to remind God that I'm not very good at math, or that I really don't like to put laundry away. I have to admit that sometimes I wonder if He forgot that we are here at seminary and living on one income.
But then I come to God and He reminds me that He does not call the equipped... He equips the called. He is unconcerned with what we lack. He lacks nothing! If we have the abiding power of the Holy Spirit in us, we can do all things through Him. Imagine for a minute. The power that made blind men see, that made barren women give birth, and that raised the dead to life again...that same power enables me to teach one more math lesson, wipe one more runny nose, read one more book, and make one more peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Amazing, awesome God...Thank You for loving me despite my many inadequacies. Thank You for your precious Holy Spirit that empowers and equips me to do what You have called me to do. In Jesus' name, Amen.

1 comment:

Becka said...

I thought you might enjoy this post of mine. http://toasty-toes.blogspot.com/2006/10/thinking-of-ma.html
I was having my own moment of feeling "not good enough"