I cannot come down...

I am doing a great work and I cannot come down.” Nehemiah 6:3

I love reading the story of Nehemiah as he rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem, despite much opposition from the enemy. His goal parallels my goal as a mother… I want to raise strong, healthy children that serve a purpose in the kingdom of God. John MacArthur states: “Nehemiah pursued his goals with commitment, careful planning, strategic delegation, creative problem solving, focus on the task at hand, and a continual reliance on God, particularly regarding areas beyond his control.” Doesn’t that sound like what we desire to do as mothers?

In Nehemiah’s story, it was Sanballat and his pals who plot to deceive Nehemiah by inviting him to come meet with them. Wise Nehemiah replies with “I am doing a great work and I cannot come down.” (emphasis mine)

So many times when I am really making progress – be it in character training, Scripture memorization, or even spelling or math – the enemy tempts me to leave the work at hand. Some times it’s a phone call; others it’s the internet or a television show, a book or a magazine. Some days it’s simply frustration or fatigue. Distraction. It is Satan’s finest tool. The enemy is desperate to hinder, slow down, or stop any work that brings honor to Jesus. And isn’t raising godly children one of the best ways we honor Christ?

In these times I need to do what Nehemiah did --- focus on the task at hand, rely on God, and refuse to come down.

Nehemiah succeeded in his plan because he never lost sight of the reason for the work and the source of power with which to accomplish the task. His motive was to please God by building the wall. Our motive should be to please God by building up strong children for His kingdom.

It is my prayer that we would recognize the enemy’s attempts to distract us and stand firm. We really *are* doing a great work, moms. Refuse to come down!

Dear Father God, help us as mothers to focus on the task You have given us. Help us to recognize when we are being distracted and to rely on Your mighty power to refuse to come down from our wall. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I'm not at all saying it's true for everyone, but depression was, in part at least, a "coming down" in my life. And fatigue for sure!

Stand strong, Jen!

Becka said...

I cannot come down...

I might write this across my walls...