Ch..ch..ch...ch...changes

Why is change so intimidating? When I was young(er), I welcomed change. I would be giddy with the planning and anticipation. Now, as an old lady more mature woman, I tend to get a bit hand-over-the-xanax anxious.

Maybe it's because I have children now and I am thinking of them. I moved so much as a child. I always longed for stability and security. I switched schools and churches more than most kids changed their underwear. In my 13 years of public education, I attended 9 different schools. I can't even count how many churches we went to. I never understood why we were always church-hopping. (note to self: you could always ask now...after all, you are 44.)

When Paul and I got married, one of the things I told him was that I didn't want for my children what I went through as a child. We made a lot of moves initially searching for "the right place" or "the perfect job"....of course we never found it because such a thing doesn't exist.

What I do believe, however, is that God has a plan for our lives and He has a method to what oftentimes seems like His madness. I don't regret or doubt any of the moves we've made. I know that each move brought us a little bit closer to our destination. I think each step of the way taught us something that we would need to know further down the way.

We have been in New Orleans for 4 years and while our seminary dwelling situation has been less than favorable (most of the time), the city experience has been absolutely one of tremendous personal growth and blessing. My job rocks. The boys school is second to none and they have flourished in every way imaginable in the past year. Through the people of New Orleans, I have learned what it means to be resilient, tough as nails,  and proud of your community. I have learned what good food really is. I have learned a new way of talking. I have learned a culture that has touched my heart and blessed my soul.

We have spent the last year praying and asking God to show us where He wants us to go. We have cried, prayed, traveled, and prayed some more. God seemed to be silent for most of the time. He closed doors. A lot of them.

And then...

2 comments:

Amanda N said...

i hate cliffhangers,jenny :)

Gretchen said...

And now I have David Bowie in my head because of you.